Casein / Caseinate

  • Acid Casein
  • Rennet Casein
  • Sodium Caseinate
  • Calcium Caseinate
  • Potassium Caseinate

 

 

 

Overview

Casein is the major protein in cow’s milk and constitutes about 80% of the total protein content of which the rest, some 20%, are the whey or serum proteins. Casein is made from skimmed milk by one of two general methods-precipitation by acid (ACID CASEIN) or coagulation by rennet (RENNET CASEIN).

In addition to being consumed in milk, casein is used in the manufacture of adhesives, binders, protective coatings, plastics (such as for knife handles and knitting needles), fabrics, food additives and many other products.

Caseinate is a tasteless, odorless, water-soluble, white powder formed by dissolving casein in sodium/calcium/potassium hydroxide and then evaporating.

Sodium Caseinate

Sodium Caseinate is used as an emulsifier in coffee whiteners, cottage cheese, and some meat products, and to improve the whipping properties of dessert whips.

Calcium Caseinate

Calcium Caseinate is used as a nutrient supplement for frozen desserts, creamed cottage cheese.

Potassium Caseinate

Potassium Caseinate is used in ice cream, frozen custard, ice milk, and fruit sherbets.